Hemp oil has a number of benefits for our bodies thanks to its healing effects and the fact that it interacts with our endocannabinoid system (ES). Most of them are well-known and well-researched but still, there are effects which we discover every day by researching hemp oil and its ingredients further. CBD (cannabidiol) is one of the best compounds when it comes to topically healing the skin. It comes in a variety of forms such as tinctures, edibles, creams, etc. The issue with it is that it can sometimes contain traces of THC in the mix which pushes back some people. This is why there are extracts from the hemp plant which do not include any cannabinoids at all. Hemp oil from the stem of the plant has no cannabinoids but contains strong healing effects nonetheless.

Key Takeaway: We recommend hemp oils or hemp extract creams to people who have sensitive skin, inflammation, or acne. It works great as it has fewer chemicals than conventional skincare creams. Always make sure that you test it out on a small patch of skin before applying it to the affected area.

In this review, we will talk about its effects on the skin and more particularly – how it affects people struggling with acne.

If you are more curious about the effects of CBD and its products, check out our Buyer’s Guide on the topic.

What is Acne?

Acne is the most widespread dermatological condition. It comes as three different shapes:

  1. Acne Vulgaris
  2. Acne Conglobata
  3. Acne Rosacea

Acne Vulgaris affects only the surface of the skin, therefore the hair follicles and the sebaceous glands (oil producers). It is the most common type of those three and is presented as black or white dots/heads and local inflammations. It is also the least dangerous form of acne.

This isn’t the case with the Acne Conglobata, though, as it is more damaging to the skin. It is associated with cyst-creation and creates those typical acne scars which are common among people with acne.

Acne Rosacea is common among people in the middle age range. It affects the face in almost 100% of the cases and presents itself with local redness. It is often described as a separate condition, but for the sake of information we had to show its connection to the two most common acne types.

The first two kinds will be our main focus here. We want to concentrate on the treatment and lifestyle changes you will have to undergo to get this condition under control, but first let’s see why it all happens in the first place, and what external factors work against you.

Want to learn how CBD products help people fight off some of the side effects of cancer treatment? Click here to read my full article on the topic.

Root Causes And Risk Factors

root causes for acne

It is important to know that Acne is a condition revolving around the hair follicles and the associated with the oil glands. Usually oil is secreted into the hair follicle (canal) to lubricate its growth, but if that follicle gets clogged up all that goes down the drain. The main culprit here is testosterone.

Boys have a higher chance of developing this condition due to their levels being constantly higher than girls’. Women, however, experience a spike in acne during their puberty (as with boys), since testosterone is at its high there. This hormone stimulates the cells surrounding the hair canals to excrete keratin.

All that leads to a formation of a comedo. A comedo is basically what people call white/blackhead. When the follicle isn’t fully blocked and some sebum can get out, it is called a black dot or a blackhead. Whenever it’s completely clogged, it’s called a whitehead.

When the sebum can’t get out a bacterial infection begins to occur. The most common type of bacterium is the Corynebacterium Acneas. It worsens the inflammatory process greatly and causes further redness and swelling of the surrounding tissue. That means that if the pimple gets red, it’s already infected. If this bacterial infection isn’t contained it starts growing into the connective tissue of the skin and creates pustules on the surface of the skin or nodules and cysts if everything happens below the surface. All those lead to scars if not treated properly.

A key risk factor of developing acne is whether your parents had it. If both parents had acne, the chances of the kid having any form of it are 75%, and if just one parent had acne the chances are around 25%. Your diet strongly affects both the creation and further control over the infection.

There are also a few studies that acne can be associated with toxins absorbed from your digestive tract into your bloodstream, but there isn’t enough evidence about that yet. Either way, it won’t kill you to eat healthier.

Treatment

The common treatment for acne are antibiotics. Sadly, this has been a method which is often wrongly used and in more than 50% of the patients who were treated over a long course of time there are fungi in their gastrointestinal tract. This candidose further worsens the body’s ability to deal with the bacterial equilibrium ultimately resulting in an even worse case of acne. There are two ways of treating acne:

  • Conventional
  • Using Hemp Oil

Let’s take a look at both these methods now.

Conventional Ways Of Treating Acne

The most widespread, for a reason, type of medication is Isotretinoin (Acnetame), which is derived directly from Vitamin A. It is meant to be taken only in severe cases of acne, where other methods failed, but is being used left and right nonetheless. Our issue with it is exactly that. People take it even in the lighter forms of acne, ignoring the possible side effects. Sure, it will work, because it is strong, but there are easier conventional alternatives (not to mention herbal ones).

This is where Benzoyl Peroxide comes into play. It does wonders even in the lightest forms of acne, as it functions as a disinfectant and can be applied regularly to the skin to keep it clean of impurities and bacteria. Some of the most common forms of Benzoyl Peroxide are:

  • Clearasil
  • PanOxyl
  • Humane Benzoyl Peroxide

Every product which contains this vitamin A derivative must be applied daily. The only possible side effect is turning your skin dry. Because of that, we suggest combining this therapy with an anti-dryness one. We have a similar article on dry skin and what to use to keep things fresh. Nonetheless, the easiest product for that to point out is the famous nivea hand/skin cream.

Ways Of Treating Acne Using Hemp Oil

treating acne with hemp oil

The overall benefits of using hemp oil on your skin are the following:

  • It moderates oil production better than other creams
  • Moisturizes your skin
  • Soothes inflammations
  • Treats atopic dermatitis and acne
  • Slows down the ageing process

Most of these benefits come from one of the main ingredients of hemp oil – omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

So, how do you use it? Well, there are two ways of helping your skin – by topically applying the hemp oil or by supplementing it through oral use. Here we will emphasize on the creams, although you can visit our Hemp Oil Tinctures Guide to check out more about that way of using it.

The first method of using hemp oil is to apply it directly to the damaged area of the skin. It is important to try it on a small patch of skin before you continue just to make sure you don’t get any unwanted reactions. The best place to try that is on your upper arm for example the crook of your elbow.

If you are using both essential oils and hemp oil try them out separately on the skin. If within 24 hours you haven’t observed redness, swelling, or other unwanted reactions then it’s safe to say that you are good to go.

When treating acne, clean the skin around the acne first and then let it try. After it has dried out apply the oil mixture. Leave it like that for a few minutes and then wash it away with warm water.

If you are combining hemp oil with other anti-inflammatory or soothing tinctures make sure you mix them well before applying. A great recipe for acne is to use ¼ cup of hemp oil along with 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and a few drops of any essential oil that is beneficial for the skin such as lavender.

Potential Side Effects

Hemp oil that doesn’t contain THC in it is generally safe unless you are sensitive to it. Sensitive people will experience irritation or redness. Digesting hemp seed oil on the other hand might cause digestive issues. If you are going to take it orally make sure you consult your physician before that.

Storing It Properly

Hemp Oil should always be stored in cool dark places such as a refrigerator. If you don’t have any, a cupboard will be fine. The polyunsaturated fats in the oil itself oxidize quickly under normal conditions so you will always need to go to the fridge in order to use it.

To learn more about the various benefits of CBD oils, creams, and other type of products click here.

Final Thoughts

Having acne can be a very socially awkward condition since it affects the way we communicate and our self-perception. Conventional creams, drugs, and oils are often full of chemicals and unwanted compounds which make things worse most of the time. This is why people look for healthier more natural alternatives. CBD creams and hemp seed oils are one of these alternatives. They have a mild and pleasant effect on people with skin issues. The effect won’t be as sudden but over time you will see a definite improvement in both your condition and your overall skin health.

Summary
How Does Hemp Oil Help You Fight Acne
Article Name
How Does Hemp Oil Help You Fight Acne
Description
Learn what are the root causes of acne, what are the conventional ways of treating it, and most importantly - how hemp oil helps people overcome this condition
Author